Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Student-Centered Assessment

This module has helped me think about student-centered assessment in many ways. I learned that it is very important to actively involve students in the assessment progress. This can be done by creating and using a project checklist and/or a project rubric. I have also learned that involving students in the assessment process can be difficult.

As a high school non-diploma track special education teacher, I find it very hard to motivate my students to take an active role in assessment. My students typically shut down when they receive work they are responsible for completing. To help students stay motivated in the assessment process, I can give them one piece at a time and reinforce their work in a positive manner. I can also share assessment expectations by modeling appropriate ways of giving and receiving feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment